|Author||Mt. Zion Congregational Church. |
|Title||Mt. Zion Congregational Church records, 1879-1890 [microform]. |
|Description||1 microfilm roll. |
|Summary Note||Summary: Consists of one record book containing minutes, financial records, and loose sheets of notes. |
|Reproduct. Note||Microfilm. Cleveland, Ohio : Western Reserve Historical Society, 1999. 1 microfilm reel : positive and negative ; 35 mm. |
|Historical Note||Mt. Zion Congregation Church was founded in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1864, the third oldest of Cleveland's African American churches. Its first minister was Reverend J. H. Muse, and its first formal home was located on Erie Street. In 1873, Reverend C.E. Ruddick became pastor. In 1885, Ohio native and Oberlin College graduate, Sterling Brown, was called to the pulpit. Under Brown, the congregation grew and the building was remodeled and enlarged. Between 1889 and 1921, several ministers served Mt. Zion, including Daniel W. Shaw, Jesse Moorland, Joseph S. Jackson, George V. Clark, and Irving Merchant. In 1923, the building was destroyed by fire, and the congregation purchased the former Temple Tifereth Israel on East 55th Street. The congregation moved several times until 1954, when a new sanctuary and social hall were built on Magnolia Drive in the University Circle area, the current home of Mt. Zion. |
|Cum. Index Note||Finding aids: Register available in the library. |
|Subjects||African American churches -- Ohio -- Cleveland. |
African Americans -- Ohio -- Cleveland.
African Americans -- Ohio -- Cleveland -- Religion.
Churches -- Ohio -- Cleveland.
Congregational churches -- Ohio -- Cleveland.
Mt. Zion Congregational Church.
|Call Number/Copies|| |
| ||WRHS Research Library: Microfilm (Cab. 56:3)|
mq102414: Positive microfilm, microform room [status: NON-CIRCULATING]